Thursday 19 June 2014

Cheap thrills: new staples and an old favourite...

Ever on the lookout for meals that can be cooked in one pot or pan and that provide enough food for two adults, a very hungry bubba, with leftovers, I had to try this Spanish Tortilla because we had asparagus in the fridge that needed cooking... I've now made it twice, adding spinach and switching using a large kohl rabi instead of a potato. I'll be making it again.

And using an oven proof cast iron frying pan is great - I follow the recipe up to the point where the egg mixture is added to the pan and then I put the whole thing in the oven for 30 mins (at 180 degrees C (not the 230 degrees C in the recipe)), and walk away. The added bonus is that cast iron retains the flavour of the last thing it was used to cook, so the last one tasted of taco mince. The next one will taste of something else, probably sausages...

Now back to that hungry bubba, whose appetite is worthy of a post all its own... I've stopped having morning and afternoon tea, for the most part, although some days I need two afternoon teas to get through... Jimmy is a growing bubba, and he has an appetite to match and although he is still breastfeeding, he needs more and is not afraid to ask for it. He'll crawl over to his highchair and look for bits of the last meal he dropped, or he'll point at a banana, basically asking for it. This boy eats a lot of bananas... This boy eats a lot of fruit!

But sometimes fruit is not enough, so I've started making these pancakes if I'm after something more than fruit. Jimmy fills up quickly too, mostly because of the egg but also because we eat half of the banana before sitting down to the pancakes. I added raspberries the other day (torn in half and a little mushed) and they worked well, although Jimmy prefered the fresh ones. Oh well.

While we're on the topic of fresh ingredients, who likes masala chai? Don't know what I'm talking about? How about chai tea? Chai latte? Are you with me now? Well, chai means tea, latte means milk, masala means a mix of spices, so masala chai means spiced tea, but it is usually a milky tea and oh so yummy...

I came across this recipe for masala chai a while ago, not sure when, but didn't think about it until I started craving masala chai once we arrived in Manhattan, KS. We had only recently been taken to the Asian Market, and had only bought cinnamon quills (or sticks, as they're called here), but it was enough to prompt Michael to point out that we could now make masala chai. Well, we didn't have any cardamon pods, did we...

We bought a packet of cardamon pods and a packet of cloves the next time we were there. The cloves were for something else, but turns out they go into the masala chai too! And it's a darn good masala chai recipe too. As an added bonus, the bubbling spices fill our flat with a wonderful aroma... If it's winter where you are, I strongly suggest you make yourself some, and if you're really sensitive to caffeine, I think it should still take delicious without the tea - I'll be doing this myself during winter, so that Jimmy can enjoy it too.  

Are you seeing a pattern here? Yes, I spend a bit of time reading A Cup of Jo, like a lot of other people, and while we might seem like a slightly odd match, I really enjoy reading Joanna's blog: she's a bit goofy and not afraid to share that side of herself; she's also a mum (or should I say 'mom'?), and she's pretty generous with how much she shares of her boys and her struggles with motherhood; she also has some of the most amazing contributors, especially the foodies. Plus, I can get my fill of New York without having to deal with the smells or the crowds or the dated outfits in Sex and the City.

No comments:

Post a Comment