Wednesday 24 June 2015

I'm a published writer...


In Womankind magazine! Yes, my ~600 word piece for the No News Week challenge made the cut, and is published alongside 10 other entries in the May-July 2015 edition.

I was a little hesitant to share the news that I am now published because I wanted to see it for myself. And here it is, all the way from Australia - thanks Dad! (aka Pop)

All the No News Week entries are very good and the rest of the magazine is excellent - I am enjoying reading it in bits and pieces. I love the lack of ads. The weight of the paper is perfect and the whole thing is beautifully put together.

And there is a little piece of my writing in there. And while I am happy to see my words in print, the words are not all happy. How could it be, when a young man I know drowned that week? It was so hard being so far away from friends and family that week, but I know the week was even harder for those back home. In what little way it can be, I want to dedicate my little piece of writing to them.

As the magazine has been on sale in Australia for a while now, I can only assume that most of my family and friends have read the piece. I know the copy in my possession was read by a few people before it was posted to me.

I thought my magazine reading days were almost done, limited to knitting magazines and the occasional green or country lifestyle magazines, but no, I think I have a new favourite.

The equivalent US edition has just come out, so I might try to get my hands on a copy, just to compare. I'm also a little tempted to get a subscription...

No comments:

Post a Comment