Thursday 25 June 2015

Ouchie!


Don't let the honeysuckle fool you - this isn't about bee stings... it's about my knee...

I managed to dislocate my left kneecap yesterday. How? I'm still not sure... I was rolling around on the floor, picking up hairs the vacuum missed, and somehow I moved my leg so that POP! my kneecap slipped out of place. The ensuing seconds were some of the longest seconds I have experienced in a very long time... And then POP! it was back in place.

Only everything hurt. From my foot to my hip.

This is not the first time I have dislocated a kneecap, and everything I did that time was, well, wrong. Last time I iced it, kept off it, ended up hurting my good leg, and a few days later was on crutches for a week. And I had a dancing exam in 4 weeks time - I didn't take the exam.

So, this time? Please remember that I am not a medical professional, so I have probably done something wrong this time too, but here goes: this time I gently moved my knee and gently rubbed it, kept moving the joint just enough to stop it from seizing up and put a little weight on it, albeit a little gingerly, and often using my arms to help get me off the floor. The pain was a little nauseating, and the whole thing draining, but my knee was still usable.

When I woke up this morning I was pleasantly surprised to find my knee a lot less sore. Still tender, but much easier to use than yesterday.

Jimmy has been incredibly patient and we have manage to avoid further aggravation of the injury. Michael is also being wonderful, and while I am still using my leg, I am also staying off it as much as needed. It would be wonderful to have family close by who could come and take Jimmy for a good run-around, but no...

Hopefully I'll be fully functional in a few days, although I might wait a full week before carrying Jimmy for more than 1 minute. And hopefully I haven't done any damage to my knee due to the lack of ice or gentle use.

No comments:

Post a Comment